Friday, March 28, 2025

Murchison

 


We had a breakfast prepared by Philip who runs the lodge with his wife. He is from Switzerland and goes back every year in the winter. The lodge had two German couples staying there when we arrived. 

We drove to the Buller Gorge Swingbridge and crossed the Buller river on the longest swing ridge in NZ (120n). For a couple of hours we walked in the bush including looking at the Ariki falls. Cathy pointed out the walking on bush tracks was much more like the ‘real tramping’ we  did when we were young than the ‘great walks’ tramping we have been doing on this holiday.  The river floods to biblical proportions.  

We got back across the river in a ‘zip line’ which was a bit exciting!

We came home via the town where we looked through some shops.  I bought a copy of Merv Smiths ‘Little trains of though’ because I like his modelling. Dinner back at the Cowshed, I had venison lasañga